The Griffon 8000TD is a well proven design and is the most popular medium lift hovercraft. The 8000TD, and its military version, the 8000TD(M), is powered by two water-cooled diesel engines. With its two 596kW (800hp) engines, it is far more powerful and seems to be the preferred choice for military operators.
- Capable of speeds in excess of 50 knots (58 mph or 93 kph) This craft cruises at a speed of 40+ knots with a full payload in zero wind, zero wave ('0/0') conditions.
- Depending upon configuration, the 8000TD carries a 8 -10 tonnes payload.
- In its commercial role, this high speed amphibious craft can carry 50-65 passengers in airline-type seats, plus their luggage.
- The 8000TD can also be equipped with a bow ramp and carry small conventional or tracked vehicles, or a combination of people and cargo/freight.
- It can also be used in an aircraft crash rescue role and can be equipped with fire fighting and medical aid capabilities.
The Indian Coast Guard protect and patrol their most vulnerable and complex coastlines with a fleet of 18 craft.